We do this through education, community outreach, volunteering, field trips, guest speakers, charitable giving, and supporting scientific research.
The Sea Rocket Chapter is based in north and central Brevard County including the communities of Titusville, Cocoa, Merritt Island, Port St. John, Cape Canaveral, Rockledge, Mims, and Scottsmoor.
What We Do
- Have monthly guest speakers that provide programs on a variety of topics relevant to the mission of the Sea Rocket Chapter.
- Lead field trips to conservation lands in central Florida.
- Native Plant Sales several times each year.
- Adopt-a-Highway outreach to help keep SR405 roadside clean of trash from the Railroad Overpass to Grissom Blvd.
- Provide information on native plant landscaping and its benefits for a healthy environment, including water, wildlife, polinators, butterflies and Florida's natural heritage.
- Support policies and programs that protect our natural lands and encourage proper management of those lands.
- Support research on native plants, their habitats, and the wildlife that depend on them.
We have hikes to visit the wonderful flora in our area, some of which can be found no where else on earth! Our hike leader is Dr. Paul Scmalzer, plant ecologist with the Kenedy Space Center and UCF. Check our Calendar page for upcoming hikes.
We have plant sales throughout the year to help you acquire native plants for your own backyard or business. All of the sales are attended by some of our master gardeners who are happy to help answer any questions you may have or give you some guidance as to what natives may do well in your garden. Check our Calendar page for upcoming sales. Sea Rocket members are entitled to a special discount on their plant purchases at Sea Rocket plans sales. Not a member? Sign up the day of the sale and claim your discount!!! We now accept credit cards!
Contact Us !
Our Current Board Members are:
President - OPEN
Vice President - OPEN
Treasurer - Patti Larson
Secretary - Laura Covel
Chapter Representative - Elizabeth Bishop
Membership - Barbara Gwiazda
Education / Outreach - OPEN
Digital Archivist - David Humphrey
Nursery - Lois Harris
Hike Leader - Paul Schmalzer, PhD
Newsletter - Jill Whitson
Hospitality - Armand De Filippo
Social Media - Kate Chiodini
Photo Credit: Bryan Ames, Railroad Vine